- Company: Amref Health Africa
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Dar Es Salaam Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Accounting Jobs in Tanzania
Amref Health Africa
Amref Health Africa is an independent, non-profit, non-governmental organization (NGO) whose mission is “to improve the health of people by partnering with and empowering communities and strengthening health systems”. Amref Health Africa has over 1000 employees throughout Africa with its headquarters in Nairobi, Kenya. Amref Health Africa has offices in Tanzania, Ethiopia, Kenya, Uganda, and South Africa, Malawi, Zambia, South Sudan and Senegal and a number of offices in Europe and North America for fundraising.
Amref Health Africa-Tanzania is largely supported by Multilateral, Bilateral and National donors, implementing several programmes including HIV/AIDS/TB/Malaria, Reproductive, Maternal, New-born and Child Health, Water and sanitation, e learning programme and clinical outreach. With the above background, Amref Health Africa Tanzania has the following vacancies:
Position: Senior Program Accountant (1)
Job Location: Dar es Salaam
Report to: Head of Finance
To oversee the programme accounting function across Tanzania Country Office to ensure timely and accurate reporting to management, donors and other stakeholders. In addition the post holder should work with project managers to ensure budgeted burn rates are achieved within planned overhead expenditure rates.
KEY DUTIES/RESPONSIBILITIES/KEY RESULTS AREAS
- Supervision; Provide leadership and technical financial support to the programme accounting team, ensuring they adhere to policies, regulations and standards including improvement of timeliness, quality of service provided and set up implementation of internal control systems
- External Audits (Project Specific); Ensuring that project specific audits in the programme areas are carried out and coordinated by the programme accountants. Participate in both entry and exit meetings including dealing with various queries during the course of the audit where necessary and responses to management letters. Ensuring that the recommendations by the auditors are implemented immediately so that they do not appear again in the subsequent years. Preparation, updating and submission of project audit tracker for all project audits and submit to the Financial accountant for consolidation
- Internal Audits; Participate in quarterly entry and exit meetings for ad hoc internal audits, respond to queries and management letters where required. Preparation, updating and submission of internal audit tracker for all project audits and submit to the Financial accountant for consolidation
- Review and posting of operational budgets; collate and summarise all operational budgets for all programme cost centers into the standard schedule for further review. Post approved budgets into Navision, ledger B (Board approved) and Ledger E (revised). Ensure that these budgets are put in the macros issued by the Head of Finance
- Proposal budgets; to review all proposal budgets prepared by programme accountants and pass comments to the Head of Finance for consideration by the CD/HOP and HQ
- Day to day financial operations; to ensure all reports are issued on a timely basis and that the programme accounting function provides top quality service to both HQ and Kenya Country Office
- Carry out end of month financial closure as per the Finance Manual, review and approve all donor financial reports as per the Finance Manual, ensure timely call down of funds from donors is done, budgetary control and cash balance monitoring, prepare ad hoc finance reports, prepare monthly financial reports for submission to HQ, approval of claims, signing of cheques/EFTs, approval of M-pesa payments, review of bank reconciliation for all bank accounts, posting of data, approval of PRs/LPOs and LPO alterations, assisting in the strengthening of internal controls in the department
- Grants management, setting grant management policies, and developing and enforcing procedures that assure transparency in the grants processes.
- Co-ordinate the project’s grants accounting, reporting, compliance and risk management. Review and finalize sub recipients budgets, prepare contracts/agreements and follow up on compliance.
- Handle correspondences and matters in regard to grant management in consultation with the Project Managers.
- Receive and review periodic grants reports for all sub recipients, liquidate the eligible costs and take relevant action on the expenses rendered ineligible. Provide feedback to all Sub recipients on grants performance.
- Assist in the preparation of ongoing progress update and disbursement request (PU/DR) and annual Enhanced Financial Report (EFR) as per Global Fund requirements and provide technical support, supervise the sub recipients to ensure full compliance with the Global Fund requirements.
- Provide on-site mentorship to sub recipients and capacity development to them to plan, implement, monitor and report on grants awarded.
- In liaison with the ICT Manager, supervise and guide the selected ICT Consultant in programming a Grants Management Information System (GMIS) for the project and ensure it is fully operating, providing the relevant grants reports and regularly updated. Organize and facilitate training, workshops/seminars for the sub recipients, to facilitate understanding of the grants process, implementation, reporting and accounting
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE:
- The job requires CPA (T) qualification to be able to handle the challenges of the position. A business related degree should be an added advantage for a candidate for this position.
- Eight (8) years’ experience is necessary to be able to handle the challenges of the job but this might depend on the candidate’s numerical, analytical and intellectual ability.
- Computer literacy is a must for a job holder. It is important for the candidate to have a thorough knowledge in Excel, prior experience in donor reports and prior experience in computerized accounting systems preferably Sun.
- Thorough understanding of Tanzania tax laws, International Financial Reporting Standards and experience in application and enforcement of the standards at the corporate level
- Good analytical and numeric skills
- Good management skills
- Proficient in ICT skills
- Accounting packages
- Good oral and written communications
- Negotiation skills
- Presentation skills
- Good interpersonal skills
- High level of integrity and honesty
- Team player
Method of Application
If you meet the criteria given above and interested in the vacancies, please send an application letter and CV combined in as one document indicating your present employer and position, daytime telephone contact, names and addresses of three referees. To be considered, your application must be received by 16.30 Hours June 15, 2020.
Please mention the job title/vacancy name or use the job title as the subject line when applying for this position, failure to do that your application may not be retrieved. All correspondences should be directed to: Email: email@example.com. Direct application through mail or hand delivery will not be accepted.
1. Amref Health Africa is an equal opportunity employer and has a non-smoking environment policy; Women and People with disability are encouraged to Apply
2. “Amref Health Africa is committed to the principles of safeguarding in workplace and will not tolerate any form of abuse, wherever it occurs or whoever is responsible”
3. Amref health Africa –Tanzania regrets that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.